Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Feb 11, 2014 in Paradise

 This is the recent posted masterpiece on fb - years  back I bought a 35 mm camera and took a photography course. Perhaps I should rephrase that, I took a photography course and then bought a 35 mm camera. I enjoyed working with my Pentax but times changed, 35 mm film became very expensive not to mention difficult to find, especially on our tiny Island.
 
Then I bought and used pocket point and shoot cameras which were compact but never had the capabilities I was accustomed to with the old 35mm. A year ago I decided to take a step forward into the 21st century or was it into the 20th, and bought myself a new DSLR. I was really proud of my purchase but left it in the camera case because I didn't know how to use it. I am a person who needs to hear, see and touch instructions. The paper and digital manual doesn't offer this luxury. This year I met a person  who encouraged me to shake the dust off the camera and get using it. Jayne's encouragement pushed me to set up a class with Michael Maurus while here in Puerto Morelos. 
 
ttp://macmaurus.wix.com/mmpm is his website and he has photo tips updated on a regular basis, so check it out if you are interested. I am so happy I took his one on one, one day class. Having already  had some training and experience (back in the   early 90's) it was still an eye opener. I would highly recommend anyone with a DSLR and an interest in photography to set up  a time  with Michael or another professional photographer of your choice and take a training course.
 
I actually had someone come up to me the other day and say
 "Is your name Anne?"
I said "Yes"
He said " Oh, you are the artist who took the photo featured on Michael Maurus' facebook page!"
 
I have to say that made me feel pretty good! - Thanks for the complement Garry, the lessons Michael and the push Jayne.
 
 
 
Well, without Michael's guidance I am a rather rough photographer compared to his standards but I have to say that since my class with him I have not put my DSLR on it's full automatic feature. I guide the photo by the exposure triangle (SS + Ap + ISO) and composition. Please be patient with my photos from here on, consider them each a work in progress.
 

Sunday we took one of our private walking tours through the Colonia




We came upon a section of town occupied by squatters. The last I heard of squatters was on the Manitoulin  back before my grandparents day. At one time our farm on Highway # 6 was occupied by squatters. The foundations of  their buildings are still visible in the open field along  the southern fence line next to what used to be Larson's farm. Here we are in Mexico in 2014 and there are squatters.




We are told  this property has been set aside for development in the Colonia, I guess until it is developed squatters will reside here.


The property even has streets!


 
I am not exactly sure how long this"squatters village" has existed, this is the first we have heard of it or seen it. The people living here are very poor and unable to afford housing. Their homes are made from scraps of material they have been lucky enough to find. Anything to provide shelter. I noticed many home owners  if I can call them that, have used wooden pallets that would out - do any ideas we have seen on Pinterest!


 
And to think these are the homes on the opposite side of the street.
Two different worlds on the same street!
 



We walked futher down the street and found some construction happening by the water treatment plant.



Then we found ourselves at the Cemetery,
we didn't know this was here either.


 
A day of great finds!

 
There is very little soil in this part of Mexico so they place their dead on the  ground surface and cover them
in a cement block vault.


I think this one either moved or was evicted because there is nothing inside.

 
 

Indications of the catholic religion are very prominent.

 
My iguana photos are a practice in  creative photography - lighting and position.
 

 
It takes a clown to appreciate a clown.
 I found this fellow in the park.
 

 
Looks like clowning is contagious.
 

 
Ah, the love bug! A spin off from the 70"s?



Sunrise at Puerto Morelos



 
A little Jelly Fish who has come to the end of it's life span




 
 
Our morning walk brought us upon a Piper.
It was an awesome sound when combined
with the noise of the Caribbean surf coming ashore.

 
 
More attempts at creativity.




A small container ship coming to dock to loaded  its cargo.


 
 








Venders start early to get ready for their day.
This one is set up by 8 in the morning.

 
Creative floral photography.

 
Good Night - Buenas Noches